Roller skates are shoes having wheels attached to its base which enable the wearer to roll along on them. Roller skates help in travelling on the surface easily, smoothly and effortlessly because of the wheels at the base. The concept of roller skates is same as of a four-wheeler vehicle.Roller skates help in performing a form of recreational activity as well as a sport called roller skating. Roller skates can also be a form of transportation. Roller skates basically comes in three varieties:
- Quad roller skates
- Inline skates
- Tri-skates, although experimenting with the basic skate design to single wheel has also been performed.
Roller skates and skating have become popular all over the world. Its image has changed from a physical activity to a fun activity for all age group.
Health benefits of Roller Skates
Roller skates help in performing physical work out which contributes in maintaining a good health and lifestyle. One don’t even realise the amount of sweat he has shed while having fun on roller skates and simultaneously socializing with friends doing the same activity.
Few health benefits of Roller Skates
- Easy on joint: roller skates help in providing a smooth motion that prevents joints from damaging. It helps in enjoying and working out same as running, dancing or jogging without any harsh impact on the knees.
- A good substitute for cross training exercise: roller skates help in keeping the body fit. Roller skating is equivalent to jogging in terms of health benefits and caloric consumption. They help providing strength to the legs.
- Fat burning: Roller skating burns 10 calories each minute. The calorie-burning benefit of roller skates is quick and one can expect to burn 300 to 600 calories in an hour.
- Rejuvenating activity: roller skating is a combination of exercise and fun. One can listen to music, socialize or be out in sunlight and breathe fresh air with working out on roller skates. It’s a mood lifter and stress buster.
- A good work: roller skates help in making a coordination between legs and hands movement by maintaining a balance, which is great exercise. Skating works the legs and hands as you power through movement. It helps in building strength, especially in lower body muscles. Skating is good exercise for any age
- Strengthen the heart: roller skating is an effective aerobic exercise that helps in strengthening heart muscles. Skating helps in increasing the heart rate, hence benefits in blood circulation.
- Improve endurance: roller skating helps in increasing the workout pace without much exhaustion. Roller skating helps in improving muscles’ endurance along with cardiovascular system. Roller skates energise body more efficiently.
Roller skating should be encouraged as co-curricular activities in school because of its various benefits.